Generating petrol gas from petrol
1. Prohibition relating to women and young persons - No woman or young person shall be employed or permitted to work in or shall be allowed to enter any building in which the generation of gas from dangerous petroleum is carried on.
2. Flame traps - The plant for generation of gas from dangerous petroleum and associated piping and fittings shall be fitted with at least two efficient flame traps so designed and maintained as to prevent a flash back from any burner to the plant. One of these traps shall be fitted as close to the plant as possible. The plant and all pipes and valves shall be installed and maintained free form leaks.
3. Generating building or room - All plants for generation of gas from dangerous petroleum erected after the coming into force of the provisions specified in this schedule, shall be erected outside the factory building proper in a separate well ventilated building (hereinafter referred to as “generating building”). In the case of such plants erected before the coming into force of the provisions specified in this schedule, there shall be no direct communication between the room where such plants are erected (hereinafter referred to as “the generating room”) and the remainder of the factory building. So far as practicable, all such generating rooms shall be constructed of fire-resisting materials.
4. Fire extinguishers - An efficient means of extinguishing petrol fires shall be maintained in an easily accessible position near the plant for generation of gas from dangerous petroleum.
5. Plant to be approved by Chief Inspector - Petrol gas shall not be manufactured except in a plant for generating petrol gas, the design and construction of which has been approved by the Chief Inspector.
6. Escape of petrol - Effective steps shall be taken to prevent petrol from escaping into any drain or sewer.
7. Prohibition relating to smoking - No person shall smoke or carry matches, fire or naked light or other means of producing a naked light or spark in the generation room or building or in the vicinity thereof and a warning notice in the language understood by the majority of the workers shall be posted in the factory prohibiting smoking and the carrying of matches, fire or naked light or other means of producing a naked light or spark into such room or building.
8. Access to petrol or container - No unauthorized person shall have access to any petrol or to a vessel containing or having actually contained petrol.
9. Electric fittings - All electric fittings shall be of flameproof construction and all electric conductors shall either be enclosed in metal conduits or be lead-sheathed.
10. Construction of doors - All doors in the generating room or building shall be constructed to open outwards or to slide and no door shall be locked or obstructed or fastened in a such a manner that it cannot be easily and immediately opened from the inside while gas is being generated and any person is working in the generating room or building.
11. Repair of containers- No vessel that has contained petrol shall be repaired in a generating room or building and no repairs to any such vessel shall be undertaken unless live steam has been blown into the vessel and until the interior is thoroughly steamed out or other equally effective steps have been taken to ensure that it has been rendered free from petrol or flammable vapour.